Learn the features of the Up! 3D printer, the pros, cons, and specs in this product review.
3D printers used to be something of a novelty, but with improvements in technology and reduced prices, it’s now become possible for home users to buy one for less than $1500. One such product that’s getting a lot of positive feedback is the Up! 3D printer. There are a lot of 3D printers though, so how does this one stack up?
Shortcut To Great Content
This printer is fully assembled and has an all-metal, open frame white chassis. Like most 3D printers today, the Up! prints the objects using PLA (polylactic acid) thermoplastic filament or ABS (acrylonitrile butadiene styrene) with resolutions ranging from 0.15 to 0.40 mm (150 to 400 microns).
With this printer you can print up to 135 x 140 x 140 mm / 5.3 x 5.5 x 5.5 inches (H x W x D). To make full use of the printer you’ll need the printer management software which works with Windows PCs and Macs. Regardless of which computer you use, the printer reads Standard Tessellation Language (STL) files produced by CAD software without problems.
The USB cable that comes with the device runs just fine, and the platform calibration device ensures the build surface is level. One of the issues with most 3D printers is the difficulty getting the platform level correct, so the inclusion of this calibrator is very convenient. The software is also capable of reading the nozzle height to ensure that it is operating properly.
The printer’s extruder has a wind and heat shield that prevents injury, and it also pushes the air so the material can cool down, essential for a clear and detailed finish. One of the keys to successful 3D printing is thermal stability, and the Up! provides that via its metal build platform, which reaches a temperature of 105 degrees C. There’s also a perforated cell board that’s secured to the platform via spring clips so the base is secure.
The printer also has solid steel guide rails, and the slide bearings are very precise. It’s also worth pointing out that the stepper motors conform to the standards set by the National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA) standard ICS 16-2001.
What is in the Package?
Besides the 3D printer, the package includes a platform calibration device, a USB cable, perforated cell boards, spare fasteners, and white ABS filament (0.7 kg spool, 1.75 mm in diameter). The package also includes a filament guide tube, a 20 V power adapter, 3.5 mm cable and a nozzle height detect the device.
The printer also comes with an impressive toolset consisting of two pen knives, 4 clips, a nozzle wrench, gloves, pliers, hand shovel, hex wrench, and a couple of tweezers. This cheap 3d printer runs on Windows XP/Vista/7 and Mac OS X.
Ease of Use
The instructions and software are online so you need to download these first to use the printer properly. After you read the manual though, getting the device to work is easy enough, and the output is very high quality, superior to anything else in this price range. Like other 3D printers today, the Up! prints only small objects and in single color, but the quality and detail is greater compared to what’s out there.
The printer also has a lot of accessories and unlike those in other 3D printers, they’re actually useful. Speed-wise it is comparable to others in the market. As stated, ABS and PLA are both supported, and of course, you can use the manufacturer’s own filament. You can also use a 1.75 mm cartridge, although those aren’t specifically designed for this model.
Another nice thing about this 3D printer is the size and weight: at 10.2 x 9.6 x 13.8 inches and less than 11 lbs., it’s small enough to fit on any desk and light enough to carry. The warranty is good for a year, much longer compared to others, which is always good.
The instruction manual is 57 pages long, but even if it’s only available online you can print it out. Besides the manual and the software, the website has plenty of FAQs, a community blog, and other stuff to help you out. Tech support is very good too and they’re reachable via an online form, telephone, and email.
In terms of versatility the Up! is right there with the best as you can hook up to a USB port, and the inclusion of a power supply and various maintenance tools makes it even easier to use.
- Produces solid quality printouts
- Compact, ideal for home use
- Warranty is good for one year, longer than most other 3D printers
- Does not support Linux operating systems
- Software isn’t included and has to be downloaded (free) at the official website.
Any 3d printer for sale will offer buyers a full specs list, and this one is no exception. The specs sheet also shows clearly that this is superior to most other 3D printers in its class.
- Printing material: PLA or ABS
- Input format: STL
- Printer size: 350 x 245 x 260 mm (H x W x D)
- Weight: 11 lb. (5 kg)
- Build Volume: 5.3 x 5.5 x 5.5 inches/135 x 140 x 140 mm (H x W x D)
- Speed: 10-100 cm3/h
- Z Axis (vertical) Resolution: 0.15, 0.20, 0.25, 0.30, 0.35, 0.40 mm (150, 200, 250, 300, 350, 400 microns)
- Smart Support: Yes
- Raftless printing: Yes
- Heated Build Platform: Yes – 100°C
- Smooth shutdown: Yes
- Auto Platform Height: Yes
- Auto Platform Leveling: Yes
- Layer thickness (mm): 0.15 (150 micron), 0.2, 0.25, 0.3, 0.35, 0.4
Up! Plus2 3D Printer Examples
If you read other 3d printer reviews you’ll notice that this product has received high ratings, and that is not surprising. It’s not perfect, but the output quality with the ABS prints is very good and detailed. Even if you’ve never printed anything in 3D the instructions guide you step by step. For less than $1500, the UP! offers great value for your money, so if you’re really into 3D printing, you can’t go wrong here.
Other Gamers Are Also Reading:
🎮 Trending Now
- DXRacer VS AKRacing Gaming Chairs – Which Is The Best? 2021
- Best PC Gaming Without A Desk Ideas 2021: Couch Gamer, Lazy Boy Recliner Setup, Gaming Cockpit, Gaming Bed…
- 5 Factors To Consider Before Buying A Laptop Online: Buying Guide 2021
🎮 Gaming Gear
- Quirky & Comfortable Home Office Chair Guide 2021: Which 5 Features To Look For?
- Best PC Controllers & Gamepad 2021: Buyer’s Guide
- Finding The Best Drone In The Coming Black Friday 2021? Holy Stone HS170 Review & Deals
🎮 Gamine Room Interior
- Video Game Room Storage? 10 Gamer Declutter, Setup & Organization Ideas 2021
- Video Game Room Decoration Ideas: 19+ Awesome Black And White Gaming Setup 2021
- 19+ Ultimate Pinball Machine & Arcade Games Machines For Extreme Home Recreation 2021
🎮 Gaming Culture
- How To Prepare The Best Subtle Geek Video Game Themed Wedding In 2021?
- The Best Online Activity With Friends: Famous Multiplayer Games For PC 2021
- NaGa DeMon – National Game Design Month: 4 Steps To Get Your Place 2021
🎮 Best Gaming Laptop
- Finding A Budget Laptop For Light Use? Best Laptops Under $300 (2021)
- What Are The 5 Types & Categories Of Laptops For Different Kinds Of Users? 2021
- Looking For A Quality Cheap Laptop? Best Laptops Under $200 2021
🎮 Best Drone