Throughout the history of video games, first-person shooters (FPS) have always been the pioneers of new technology, graphics and gameplay. As we enter a new generation of gaming with the release of the Xbox One and PlayStation 4, it’s worth looking back at the FPS titles which changed gaming forever.
Shortcut To Great Content
Introducing frantic gameplay and an innovative graphics engine, Wolfenstein 3D is considered to be the granddaddy of the FPS genre. Although its engine was more 2.5D than 3D, the way Wolfenstein mapped textures and graphics helped create a playable environment that you could completely explore.
Duke Nukem 3D
Duke Nukem 3D was a mix of cheesy 80s action movies and bizarre sci-fi. The controversial and violent game was way ahead of its time with the introduction of interactive environments, tight shooting mechanics and advanced level design.
The Quake series is credited with introducing multiplayer to the FPS genre, but Unreal Tournament is responsible for refining the mechanics and gameplay of fighting against other players. With modes like team deathmatch, capture the flag, and domination, Unreal Tournament set the standard for FPS multiplayer.
One of the most critically acclaimed video games of all time, Half-Life’s ambition transcended the FPS genre. Half-Life revolutionised gaming by using scripted events to create a tense, action-packed and always surprising gaming experience.
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Modern Warfare 2 brought the Call of Duty franchise to next generation consoles and, in doing so, changed the FPS genre forever. The game’s single player mode is still one of the most immersive and cinematic stories in gaming history, and it’s online multiplayer completely changed the way gamers played against each other online.
Other Gamers Are Also Reading:
🎮 Trending Now
- Best VR Headsets That Will Bring You Out Of The Reality In 2022 – Buyer’s Guide
- What Are Cool Christmas Gifts For Gamer Teenage Guys? (30+ TikTok Amazon Last Minute Presents For 2022)
- DXRacer VS AKRacing Gaming Chairs – Which Is The Best? 2022
🎮 Gaming Gear
- Looking For Some Drone Deals On Black Friday 2022? DJI Mavic Pro Black Reviews
- Best PC Gaming Without A Desk Ideas 2022: Couch Gamer, Lazy Boy Recliner Setup, Gaming Cockpit, Gaming Bed…
- Best Drones For Every Budget – Buyer’s Guide 2022
🎮 Gamine Room Interior
- 107+ Cool Stylish Retro Gamer Room Ideas For Those Who Loves Video Games Of The 80s & 90s (2022)
- Home Office Gaming Setup: Best Design Ideas For Gamer Productivity & Fun For Remote Work During Lockdown 2022
- 29+ Super Funny Gamer Girl Memes & Gaming Girlfriend Jokes 2022
🎮 Gaming Culture
- The Best Online Activity With Friends: Famous Multiplayer Games For PC 2022
- The Top 5 FPS Games Of All Time: Do You Know Them? 2022
- Should I Buy My Son/Daughter A Gaming PC? Kids Games Room Design, Setup Guide & Common Questions 2022
🎮 Best Gaming Laptop
- How To Find The Best Budget Tablets For Under $200 In 2022?
- Looking For Budget Tablets For Daily Light Use? Best Cheap Tablets For Under $300 2022
- Finding Notebooks For Online Gambling? Best Laptops For Gamblers 2022
🎮 Best Drone